Tips on installing a fire extinguisher:
• Fire extinguishers shall not be obstructed or obscured from view. Place in full view.
• All fire extinguishers shall be properly mounted and hung with proper manufacturer’s wall hook.
• Install fire extinguishers having a gross weight not exceeding 40 lbs., so that the top of the fire extinguisher is not more than five (5′) feet above the floor.
• Fire extinguishers having a gross weight greater than 40 lbs., shall be installed so the top of the fire extinguisher is not more than three and a half feet(3.5′) above the floor.
• In no case shall the clearance between the bottom of the fire extinguisher and the floor be less than four (4″) inches.
Tips on fire extinguisher services:
• Remove the fire extinguisher from the wall hook.
• Dust and/or clean the fire extinguisher.
• Replace the safety seal and check the pull pin for corrosion and ease of removal.
• Check the nomenclature label for gross weight, then scale the fire extinguisher, and invert to fluff the chemical (dry chemical extinguishers only).
• Examine the fire extinguisher for obvious physical damage, corrosion, leakage, remove nozzle, and check for any blockage.
• Verify the pressure gauge and reading or indicator in operable range or position.
• Check all fire extinguishers for six year maintenance and/or last hydrostatic testing date, whichever is applicable.
• Return the fire extinguisher to its wall hook and re-tag with new annual inspection tag facing forward with technician’s initials.
For more information on fire extinguishers, click here.